Tuesday, January 15, 2008

bing-bing, ka-zing and skree-skree, y'all!

Having lots'a Western fun at our house this week! MC is learning all about "The Wild West" in preschool since it's National Western Stock Show time in Denver right now. A big deal to many cow-folk in these parts come mid-January. So I figured we should take a visit to the Central Library to check out some fun western stories. (Sorry for the bad cowgirl talk. I ain't no vaquera! And my western drawl is much worse!)

The librarian handed us 3 great books and I decided I gotta share their titles because they are so darn good! They are all twists on fairy tales, namely Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood.

•My favorite is Cindy Ellen by Susan Lowell. Too much fun! A true riot! Just wait till you meet her fairy godmother.
Bubba the Cowboy Prince by Helen Ketteman is a Cinderfella-type story and you'll love Miz Lurleen, especially her hair! My favorite line is when she complains, "There goes another ten-dollar Stetson on a five-cent head."
•In third place is Little Red Cowboy Hat also by Susan Lowell. Yep, you guessed it, Little Red Riding Hood's cowgirl cousin! I especially like that the G-ma part isn't scary and that it encourages girls to stand up for themselves!

After so much book fun I hope to make it a goal to visit the central or neighborhood library once a week! We've just gotta get there and get some new stories to keep the kids loving books; especially since Maria is reading now!!! Yee-haw!





No comments: