Friday, December 07, 2007

Cooking with Mami

mami's empanadas

In early November I asked my mom to teach me how to make sweet potato empanadas. I had just purchased a huge bag of sweet potatoes at Costco and had to find ways to use them up. Well, this was a perfect way! They are so simple to make and are very yummy. JP can attest to that. . .

empanadas, yummy!

I really must request more cooking lessons from Mami because my everyday cooking doesn't include many family/cultural recipes. I tend to be true to my Everyday Food mags and a couple of excellent cookbooks (Colorado Collage & The New Best Recipe). These all contain fantastic recipes but I feel I must carry on family tradition, especially at Christmas time. I'm not a great fan of Mexican food, probably because I grew up on it, but I must really learn the more traditional dishes as made by Mami: tortillas (corn/flour/wheat), tamales, champurrado, polvorones, buñuelos, . . . Most importantly, I must write down the recipes--even if they are all by guesstimations!

(Recipe to follow soon! When I can find the paper I wrote it on!)

1 comment:

African Kelli said...

Oooh, I love empanadas! Those look delicious. Good for you!
I hope you have a fabulous Christmas!