Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Getting fancy with freezer paper stencils

Here's a practice run turned useful!--A scrap piece of fabric used to practice freezer paper stenciling turned into a patch.
freezer paper stencil patch

Below is the end result after putting my creative brain to work. I'm very happy with it and will probably be making lots more of these patches. Finally a good way to put my scraps to use.


This started off as a practice design that I made free-hand on a scrap piece of dark denim. After it dried, I decided it would be very cute as a patch and then used the patch to design a boring old craft store t-shirt.

The t-shirt, size toddler small, was too big for my 2 year old, Julia, and so I knew I'd have to alter it. Here's what I did:
-I sewed on the patch
-framed the patch with ribbon
-gathered the sleeves with elastic
-decorated the sleeves with the same orange/pink ribbon
-took-in the t-shirt at the torso so that it wouldn't be so wide on Julia
-cut off about 3 inches from the botton and re-hemmed

Julia wore it today and it fit her fine. Although, next time I alter a t-shirt I think I will find a way to make it more fitted along the top 1/3, including the sleeves. I'll have to put some of the ideas from those cool t-shirt books to use!
99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Trim & Tie Your T-shirt Into Something Special
and
Tease : Inspired T-shirt Transformations by Superstars of Art, Craft, and Design

1 comment:

Mary-Frances said...

What a great idea and how creative! I was sorry to miss craft day! Hopefully next week!