Thursday, January 04, 2007

simplicity

No, I'm not going to write about Simplicity patterns! Rather, about simplicity in my life! I don't know how it happened but I came across this article today and I think it's the beginning of a big change in my life! It was so refreshing to read and I'm motivated to act on simplifying our lives!

It's been 10 days since Christmas Day and I still feel the Grinch-like emotions that come on during this season. Don't get me wrong, I like gifts. Receiving, but especially giving. Giving meaningful, well-thought out gifts. They don't even have to be store-bought either! I just don't like all of the materialistic hype! Before Christmas Day we're bombarded with BUY! BUY! BUY! Then after Christmas Day we're being told to take back what we received and go get what we "REALLY" wanted! Yikes! Isn't this so wrong?

Every year is the same. I try to make it different but it never really seems to change much. Having children can make this whole nightmare even worse! I'm so scared of raising children who want everything they see and worse yet, expect to have everything they want! I hope to be able to raise my children fully happy with the "few" things they receive and thankful too! Most importantly, I hope to raise them to understand "the reason for the season". Read this article by Archbishop Chaput.

So, about simplicity, well, I'm not entirely sure what we will be doing to simplify our lives. But I'm motivated to figure it out! Stay tuned!

No comments: