Saturday, February 11, 2006

Gardening: log and seeds

I really have to start thinking about my gardens again! I know spring will be here before I know it and I want to make sure that I'm ready. I was supposed to spend the winter months creating a plant/tree log where I list all of the important facts about each of the beautiful plants and trees growing in our yard. Well, I haven't done this yet!

I guess it's still winter and I still have time! The following is a list of what I want to include in my log:
-Plant name
-light
-height
-width
-color
-bloom time
-how often or how long it blooms
-when to cut back dead foliage (if needed)
-what type of fertilizer is good
-water requirements
-life span (true perennial or only a 2-3 year perennial)
-special features (easy to grow, invasive, great cut flower, etc)
-companion plants (even though I think I've already figured that out since I planned my gardens before planting!)
-experiences with this particular plant (pests, diseases, survival rate in my garden)
-???

I'm sure there is more to add to this log, but this is a good starting point. Actually, my first step should be to buy a nice notebook or nice binder for my log. I think once I get a notebook, then I will be better focused and can use J's nap time/M.C.'s "art time" to work on my own art!

I've also decided to add a new section to my sidebar entitled "links". The main purpose for this new section is to keep my favorite gardening links close at hand and I hope that this will keep my gardening plans in focus.

Seeds:
I prepared the soil for a new garden mid-fall and want to use this garden as my cut flower garden. I would love to take fresh flowers that I have grown with love and care to Viviana! That was my inspiration for starting this garden. I also was supposed to be doing research on excellent cut flowers for zone 5 (annuals or perennials) over the winter. Got to get to it!

I thought I would try my hand at growing most of these cut flower plants from seed. I don't feel too much pressure on this plan though because I know most seeds should be started 4-6 weeks before the last frost. Well, in Denver that is usually around Mother's Day. I think I still have a bit of time! This will be my second attempt at growing plants from seeds and I thought that I might start earlier than suggested so that the plants will be more mature by the time I plant them. I don't know if this is an ignorant gardeners dream or if I can actually pretend to be a nursery. I figure for the low cost of seeds and the high volume, I can't go wrong. If it doesn't work out, then I'll just have to visit the nursery and buy plants! The first time I grew plants from seeds was pretty successful except for the long, very long, growth time. The plants didn't mature until about mid-July and I don't want to wait that long this year.

No comments: